I absolutely love Finland and everything about it (except bees and snakes). I think we are very lucky to be born in a beautiful country like this and that our system works quite well compared to some other countries.
Here are some of my thoughts about Finland and Finnishness:
FINLAND HAS 4 GREAT SEASONS
Here are some of the best things about Finland´s seasons in my opinion:
WINTER (December till March)
- snow, coldness
- christmas, Santa Claus
- sports; skiing, hockey
SPRING (March till May)
- World Championship at ice hockey
- First of May
- Easter, bonfire, Finnish Easter pudding “mämmi”
SUMMER (June till August)
- Nature; wonderful views, weather gets warmer, lakes, ocean, big country
- Middle summer; summer cottage, barbecue, sauna, swimming in the lake, rowing
- Music festivals
- Car racing events
- Market, berries, ice cream
- Amusement parks
FALL (September till November)
- Leaf fall down the trees
- Air gets a bit colder and the feeling is great!
Finnish provinces tempt to have different dialects depending on the province. I think dialects are one of the greatest things about Finnishness – I absolutely love some of them! Provinces divide into the falloving areas:
- Western Finland (This is where my current hometown Tampere is – it´s the third largest city in Finland)
- Southern Finland (our capital city Helsinki places here)
- Northern Finland (lovely winter Lappland)
- Eastern Finland (love the savo dialect)
We Finns attempt to have mutual features in our behavior and characters.
- Honest, reliable
- We have this thing called “sisu” which makes us do things even though it is hard or almost impossible
- We have crazy ideas; The Dudesons, wife carrying championchips, beer floating etc.
- Independence; good and free education system, good health care
- We do need our own space.
Picture of Finns in a buss stop.
Finland and Finnishness is also so much more, but this was just a quick view to it. Hope you liked it!